Concept [Aims & Objectives]
To many, including myself, skate culture often represents a fusion of many forms of expression intertwined in a unified package which focuses on the art as much as the sport. However, in Nepal, this creative outlet is not fully realized as there has not yet been a reliable hub (skate-park) for it to prosper in. Consequently, I initiated this fundraiser project to improve skateboarding in Nepal, with the following objectives in mind:
– Raising funds and developing a renovated design for Phewa Skatepark
– Documenting the development of the first fully functioning skatepark in Nepal
– Promote new sustainable approach to operating as a record label
– Present the flagship project for future Outtallectuals development campaigns
The Annapurna Skatepark project is Nepal's first international standard skate park, built in 3 weeks in April 2017 by more than 90 volunteers. On my behalf, the project originally started through the curation of the Outtallectuals fundraiser compilation album, 'Phewa Dawn', organising charity music events in London, contributing the funds and labor work to the construction process, and documenting the project from start to finish.
Part I (Conceptualisation and inception)
This album was originally incepted as a fundraiser to redesign and renovate Phewa Skatepark, the only functioning skate park in Nepal at the time. This first stage started in Pokhara, Nepal in February 2016, leading to this project concept & fundraiser video that I filmed and edited.
During the fundraising and project development process, we learned that Make Life Skate Life, another organisation who build skateparks around the world, had chosen Nepal as their next destination. At this point, with the aid of our local partner who built Phewa Skatepark, all organisations joined to build a brand new skatepark in Pokhara's Rangasala Stadium sports complex.
Part II - Curation of Phewa Dawn Album
- Curation and direction of Phewa Dawn album by coordinating +40 international musicians, fueling collaboration, and organising artwork, promotion and mastering services
Part III - Fundraiser Live Music Events
- Hosting two fundraiser live music events in London
Part IV - Construction Process
- Raising a total of $1200 from album and event sales, and using the funds to purchase concrete during construction, and organise the skatepark opening event.
- Contribute to the construction process, facilitate between local workers and international volunteers
Part V - Project Documentation
- Document the building process and compile into a follow-up documentary